Italian Meatball Sub Sandwich
With Superbowl Sunday a few days away, we've been sharing this delicious and easy to make Italian Meatball Sub recipe. It's great for a crowd watching football or any day of the week with your family!
Let's Get Cooking!
1 lb. ground meat (I use 1/2 lb. ground round and 1/2 lb. ground pork)
1 egg slightly beaten
2 tbs. fresh parsley, finely chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, extra for topping
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying
Italian rolls- 6 crusty rolls
Your favorite Italian Cooks sauce- either Tomato & Basil or Vodka Sauce
- Mix meat, egg, parsley and garlic together. In a separate bowl, mix cheese, breadcrumbs and salt. Add to meat mixture. Don’t be afraid to use your hands! If mixture feels dry, add a tbs. of water at a time until moist. A moist mixture makes a moist meatball!
- Using a tablespoon of meat, roll into about 24 meatballs.
- Heat vegetable oil in the bottom of a frying pan. Brown meatballs on all sides.
- Drain excess grease.
- Add sauce to the pan and simmer until meatballs are fully cooked (these can be made a day or two ahead and rewarmed).
- Slice the Italian Rolls down the middle. Place 4 meatballs and additional sauce in the roll.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Place under broiler if you wish to toast them
*Gluten free option: Use gluten free bread crumbs & skip the roll!
Share your kitchen creations with us on social media. Tag us @TheItalianCooks on Instagram or @italiancooks on Facebook or use hashtag #TheItalianCooks.